Become a fan of AstroBetter on Facebook!
- Dark Matter Detected, or Not? Live Blogging the Seminar | Cosmic Variance
What an important seminar looks like in Web 2.0. Live blogging and useful comments.
- 2012: The apocalypse for UK optical astronomy | Supernova Condensate
“by 2012 UK astronomers are going to be without access to any large optical telescopes in the entire Northern Hemisphere…the UKIDSS survey may never finish”
- The axeman cometh | The e-Astronomer
Read the comments for a high-level discussion of ESA’s role in the UK crisis. (via SarahAskew)
- Dark days ahead? | SarahAskew
More about the UK budget crisis.
- Blogging, Big meetings, and Bias | Women In Astronomy
The CSWA and CSMA are sponsoring some great special sessions at the AAS this year!
- NASA and NSF have an FY10 budget | AAS Public Policy Blog
- Scientific Python tools use rising in education | Planet SciPy
Python workshops being offered for students. And apparently one in the Berkeley Astro dept in the fall! Sure does feel like IDL’s days are numbered. (via August Muench)
- Statistical confusion | Lighthouse in the Sky
Interesting criticism and discussion of the statistical methods, the KS test in particular, used in recent MOND papers. (via Roban Kramer)
- Save Time Replying to Facebook Messages via Email | Lifehacker
Good example of using Gmail filters to keep distractions like Facebook out of your Inbox. I use this method to prevent the vast majority of my email to ever show up in my Inbox.
- What To Do? | FemaleScienceProfessor
Should optional teacher training be added into graduate programs?