‘Tis the season for writing letters so I thought I would highlight some resources:
- How Do You Write Effective Letters of Recommendation for Grad School Applicants? and 5 Principles for Writing Effective Letters of Recommendation for Grad School Applicants
Post with useful comments and the roundup.
- Tips on Writing Letters of Recommendation
Video from Oberlin College with general tips. A bit long and dry, but excellent advice, particularly for saying no to a request.
- Collection of Useful Phrases
Phrases to copy and paste and/or use for inspiration
- Recommendation letters could cost women jobs, promotions and
How Not to Write a Recommendation Letter
Be careful not to be sexist or make your letter too gendered.
- Writing Badass Letters of Recommendation
One issue I’ve struggled with recently is finding an appropriate person to proofread a letter for me. So far, what’s worked well—and what I’ve been the most comfortable doing—is asking someone from far-far-away who doesn’t know the applicant.
What aspects have writing letters have you found to be the most mystifying?