This is the companion wiki to the AstroBetter Blog. You can register (see right sidebar) to edit or comment on wiki pages. Please, share your expertise with us! If you have questions or do not know where to add your content, please email us at admin at astrobetter.com
- Setup Guide for Mac Astronomers
- Mac Apps - Top apps for boosting astronomy productivity
- Mac Care and Maintenance - Advice for keeping your Mac operating well.
- iPhone and iPad Apps - related blog posts
- Setup User Accounts - For those who integrate into a larger network (beyond just ssh and such)
- Scisoft - quick way to install many data reduction packages
- Running Windows on OS X
- Computing - Other useful computing resources.
Tips and Tricks (by application)
- Computing - compilation of tutorials and activities for teaching/learning
- IDL - Installation Tips and Common IDL problems
- Python - see also related blog posts
- AIPS/CASA - radio/sub-mm interferometric data reduction
- LaTeX - related blog posts
- Mounting remote directories (SSHFS)
- OS X - general tips
- MATLAB - packages and tools for astronomy
- Starburst 99 (spectrophotometric simulation of star-forming galaxies)
- Observing - info for various telescopes and instruments
- How to observe - general advice for the new observer
- Data Reduction
- Making Images - IDL, SuperMongo, etc.
- Analysis Tools - blog posts
- Data Modeling
- Statistical Tools
- Astronomical Databases - Individually maintained web pages that provide data and/or catalogs.
- Rumor Mill (postdoc positions, faculty & staff positions)
- Job Hunting Resources
- Navigating the Faculty Job Search - almost a complete guide
- Advice for Graduate Student involvement in faculty searches
- Interview Advice
- Negotiation Resources
- Post-tenure Career Advice
- Non-Academic Career Paths
- CSWA Career Resources
Online Courses — Recommended list of online courses
- Astronomy Degree Programs — list of institutions that offer astronomy related degrees
- Astronomical Institutions — summary of department sizes, resources, etc.
- Grad Student Representation — details of grad student involvement in Astro PhD programs
- Parental Leave Policies — parental leave policies at different institutions.
- Summer Internships — listing of REUs and summer internships.
- REU Information - information about undergraduate research opportunities
- Undergraduate Astronomy Programs — Page not yet updated with comments from blog post.
- Diversity Programs — programs that are designed to increase diversity in Physics and Astronomy.
- Getting Started Guide - Guide for those just getting started in Astronomy.
- Astro-ph Tools
- Telescope and Grant Proposal Deadline Calendar
- Writing - Resources for writing papers and proposals.
- Refereeing and Peer Review - Thoughts on writing referee reports.
- Lab Notebooks - Ideas for best practices for keeping useful lab notebooks.
- Presentation Skills - Tips for giving talks and posters.
- Mental Health - Links to articles about academia and mental health
- Diversity - Links to articles relevant to fostering diversity in physics and astronomy.
- Acknowledgements - How to acknowledge (in paper, talks) the various institutions that support your research.
- Airline Guide
- Blogs by Astronomers
- Movies featuring Astronomers
- YouTube Astronomy Videos
- Books for Professional Astronomers
- Conference Hashtags and Tweet Archives
- Astronomers on Twitter
- Getting the Most Out of AAS Meetings
- AAS Hack Day
- AAS Meeting Ride Share
- Astronomy Organizations on Facebook
- Songs with Astronomy themes